Purgatory Online

Friday, May 07, 2004

I love living in the early 21st century; as I've mentioned several times, I subscribe to the "Extra Innings" package on digital cable so I can follow the Angels despite living in Dallas (or a suburb thereof). Very occasionally, however, I wish the broadcast didn't have to end with the final out of the game, and I could tune into the Southern California Sports Report, or the SoCal Sportz Nutz, or whatever the hell Orange Countians get to see after the last out is made.

Tonight, of course, is such a night. Ye Gods and li'l fishies, what a game John Lackey pitched tonight. Sure, okay, against the Devil Rays, but still - a three-hit shutout, for a guy who's in the process of rehabilitating his reputation as a starter - this will be one he remembers for the rest of his life. I'd dearly love to see the locker-room interviews with him, but, even more so, the interviews with Jose Molina, who looked very much like a catcher coming into his own. Molina called a terrific game, and seemed to really get Lackey on the right track whenever he had to visit the mound. If Jose isn't somebody's starting catcher by next year, I'll be very, very surprised.

Home